"I love Cultural Cuisine dinners! It always amazes me how a large number of people from different countries, backgrounds, ethnicities and religions are breaking boundaries and finding a common ground to get acquainted" - Fulbright Student from Iraq
Cultural Cuisine is going to Meskerem– one of the best Ethiopian places in town! Sofia Silveira, our graduate assistant, lived in Ethiopia for three months and it was one of the most impactful experiences of her life. The food – healthy, unique and delicious – is unforgettable. She can’t wait to share this communal dining experience with you!
Ethiopian food is usually in the form of wat, a thick stew, served atop injera, a fluffy slightly sour bread. You eat with your hands, using the injera to pick up the food, while sharing large platters of food around the table!
This menu has been specifically designed for One To World guests.
Meat Dishes (Family Style)
- Doro Wat: chicken leg seasoned with onions, garlic and fresh ginger then sautéed with butter and finished with berbere sauce. Served with hard-boiled egg.
- Tibs wat: beef sautéed with berbere sauce.
- Minchet Abish Wat: ground beef cooked with butter, garlic and finished with curry.
- Gomen besaega: beef seasoned with garlic, onions and ginger, then finished with boiled collard greens.
Vegetarian Dishes (Family Style)
- Miser Alech: split lentils dipped with ginger, garlic, onions, olive oil and curry.
- Kik wat: Ethiopian split peas cooked with onions and garlic finished with curry.
- Miser Wat: split lentils with garlic, onions and olive oil finished with berbere sauce.
- Gommen: minced collard greens cooked with onions and garlic.
- Buticha: ground chickpeas cooked with onions and minced jalapeno chili pepper.
- Shro wat: ground and highly seasoned chickpeas in berbere sauce.
- Side dish 1: sautéed fresh string beans, carrots and onions with tomato sauce.
- Side dish 2: fresh cabbage, potatoes and carrots sautéed with garlic, ginger and curry.
Drinks: assorted soda
Date: Tuesday, April 30th
Time: 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM (approximately)
Location: Meskerem – 124 Macdougal Street, Manhattan
Cost:* $22 (includes meal, tax, & tip)
Registration Deadline: Friday, April 29th
Contact: Sofia Silveira, Graduate Assistant, here or at (212) 431-1195 ext. 33
*All program fees are non-refundable.