307 Seventh Avenue, Suite 2003 | New York, NY 10001
t. 212.431.1195 | f. 212.941.6291

International Students

U.S. Tax Obligations for International Students

International students in the U.S. are required to file a tax return each year with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You must file at least one form with the IRS, even if you do not earn income in the U.S. The good news is that if you overpaid tax, you will get a refund!

How Are You Taxed?

If you do get a job in the U.S., you will be asked to fill out a W-4 Form so your employer knows what portion of your income should be withheld as taxes. These taxes are then paid to the U.S. Treasury (and/or the appropriate state agency) on your behalf. At the end of the tax year, you must prove that you paid the correct amount by filing your tax return! Even if you did not have a job, you must still file a Form 8843 each year.

Filing Your Tax Return

You can use a U.S. tax preparer for international students such as Sprintax to guide you through the process of preparing and completing your U.S. tax return. More information about tax obligations for international students can be found here.

The filing date for tax year 2018 is Monday, April 15, 2019.

As proud sponsors of One To World, Sprintax is offering the first 75 users FREE Federal tax return preparation with the code Spx2018OTW50. The next 100 users can discount code Spx2018OTWF5 for $5.00 off their Federal tax return preparation.

Here is how it works:

Source: Sprintax

For more information, please read Everything you need to know about Non-Resident Tax.

If you have any questions about Sprintax, please email hello@sprintax.com or talk to the friendly team at the 24/7 online chat help.

IRS links:



One To World thanks Sprintax for their sponsorship of our programs.