307 Seventh Avenue, Suite 2003 | New York, NY 10001
t. 212.431.1195 | f. 212.941.6291

U.S. Tax Obligations

International students in the U.S. are required to file a tax return each year with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). You must file at least one form with the IRS, even if you do not earn income in the U.S. The good news is that if you overpaid tax, you will get a refund!


How Are You Taxed?

If you do get a job in the U.S., you will be asked to fill out a W-4 Form so your employer knows what portion of your income should be withheld as taxes. These taxes are then paid to the U.S. Treasury (and/or the appropriate state agency) on your behalf. At the end of the tax year, you must prove that you paid the correct amount by filing your tax return! Even if you did not have a job, you must still file a Form 8843 each year.


Filing Your Tax Return

You can use a U.S. tax preparer for international students such as Sprintax to guide you through the process of preparing and completing your U.S. tax return.

The filing date for tax year 2017 is Tuesday, April 17, 2018. 

As proud sponsors of One To World, Sprintax is offering the first 75 users FREE Federal tax return preparation with the code OTW2017B.

Here is how it works: 

Source: Sprintax

Further information about international students and taxes can be found here. If you have any questions about Sprintax, please email hello@sprintax.com or talk to the friendly team at 24/7 online chat help.

Useful information:


IRS (general tax info): 1-800-829-1040

To order forms: 1-800-829-3676

IRS website

One To World thanks Sprintax for their sponsorship of our programs.